YORK, Pa. — Sixth-ranked host York College of Pennsylvania pulled away from visiting Washington College in the second half en route to a 16-9 non-conference win in the season opener for both teams this evening.
#6 York (Pa.) 16, Washington College 9
How It Happened
- Regan Cook opened the scoring for the Spartans 3:55 into the game. Alison Pantazes evened the score for the Shorewomen with a free-position goal 2:01 later. York regained the lead on a Skye Slater goal off a Hayley McCormick assist with 22:10 remaining in the first half.
- Neither team scored again until Devin Hursey found the back of the net for York with 15:46 left in the half to push the lead to 3-1. Slater scored again for the Spartans, this time on a free position, with 11:57 remaining in the half to extend the lead to 4-1.
- The Shorewomen pulled back to within two goals on an Aubrey Robinson goal with 8:43 to play in the half. Colleen Keefe pulled Washington to within a goal off an assist from Alison Pantazes with 6:13 on the clock.
- McCormick answered for the Spartans, scoring off a Hursey assist 1:14 later for a 5-3 advantage. Meghan Fox scored the Spartans's sixth goal by scooping up a ground ball off a save in front and putting it home with 3:04 left in the first half. Kristy Grovom scored off a Cecily Docktor assist for the Shorewomen with 2:29 to play in the half as the Spartans brough a 6-4 lead into halftime.
- Grovom began the second-half scoring 1:03 into the second period to cut the lead in half, but the Spartans got that goal back 47 seconds later thanks to Hursey. Cook followed with a goal off a Hursey assist with 26:30 on the clock and scored again off another Hursey assist 1:26 later to push the advantage to 9-5.
- Washington ended York's three-goal run with a Docktor goal off a Lauren Brenner assist with 22:25 to play, but Slater scored off a McCormick feed 26 seconds later for York. Cook followed with a goal off a McCormick assist with 19:05 remaining for an 11-6 advantage. Slater scored again with 16:22 to play as York built a six-goal lead.
- The Spartans' 13th goal came courtesy of Fox off a Hursey assist with 12:24 to play. Fox scored the 14th goal for the Spartans 1:23 later off a Cook assist to complete a five-goal run for York.
- Robinson ended that run with a Shorewomen goal with 9:58 to play and Docktor followed with another 1:13 later to trim the deficit to 14-8.
- Hursey scored the Spartans' 15th goal of the game with 6:58 remaining; Alison Pantazes scored the Shorewomen's ninth with 5:45 left. McCormick tacked on the Spartans' 16th with 2:19 left.
For the Shorewomen (0-1)
- Scoring Leaders: Docktor and A. Pantazes (2 goals, assist); Grovom and Robinson (2 goals)
- In Goal: Isabella Richardson (11 saves, 16 goals allowed, 60:00)
For York (1-0)
- Scoring Leaders: Hursey (3 goals, 4 assists); Cook (4 goals, assist); McCormick (2 goals, 3 assists); Slater (4 goals); Fox (3 goals)
- In Goal: Abby Smith (9 saves, 8 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Nicole Clauter tallied seven draw controls, four ground balls, and three caused turnovers for the Spartans.
- York held a 40-25 advantage in shots and controlled 16 of the game's 27 draws.
2/27 @ Albright - 7 p.m.