Grovom Scores Four Goals in Victory
CARLISLE, Pa. — The Washington College women's lacrosse team won its Centennial Conference opener today by defeating host Dickinson College, 12-10, today on Biddle Field. The Shorewomen led by as many as seven goals during the second half and held off a late charge by the Red Devils to come away with the win.
Washington College 12, Dickinson 10
How It Happened
- The Red Devils scored just 1:13 into the game as Eleanor Kaestner scored off an Anne Dunster assists, but the Shorewomen scored the next four to take a 4-1 lead on a Cecily Docktor goal with 15:08 left in the first half.
- Neither team scored again until Kaestner scored off another Dunster pass with 8:24 to go in the period to get Dickinson back to within two at 4-2, but Anna Bennett scored a free-position goal for the Shorewomen with 1:49 showing for a 5-2 halftime lead for the Shorewomen.
- Washington opened the second half with a quick pair of goals by Lauren Brenner to push the lead to 7-2. Brenner scored off a Docktor feed with 28:39 left and then scored off a Bennett assist 24 seconds later. Those two goals were soon followed by a Kristy Grovom goal off a Docktor feed with 27:09 left to extend the margin to half a dozen. Colleen Keefe then added a free-position goal with 25:43 to go for a 9-2 advantage.
- Dickinson got back on the board with a Sam Marmo free-position goal with 23:41 to play and Mack Maurer followed with a goal with 21:24 left to get the Red Devils back to within five goals at 9-4. Grovom then scored the Shorewomen's 10th goal off an assist from Alison Pantazes with 20:12 to play. Grovom added another goal with 18:53 left to push the lead back to seven at 11-4.
- Marmo scored another free-position goal for the Red Devils with 12:44 left, Dunster scored off an Erika Bloes assist with 9:45 left, and Dunster scored again 18 seconds after that as Dickinson pulled to within four goals at 11-7.
- Grovom scored a free-position goal for the Shorewomen with 5:52 to play and Maurer countered with a goal for Dickinson off a Greta Holt assist 52 seconds later and the Washington lead stood at 12-8 with five minutes remaining. Bloes cut that to three goals with a goal off an assist from Marmo with 2:15 left and Maddie Parker trimmed it to 12-10 with a goal with 1:06 to play.
- The Red Devils won the ensuing draw but couldn't manage a shot until Parker had a free-position attempt saved by Washington goalie Isabella Richardson with 15 seconds left. Bennett recovered the ensuing ground ball for the Shorewomen who held on for the two-goal win.
For the Shorewomen (5-2, 1-0 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring Leaders: Grovom (4 goal); Brenner (3 goals, assist); Docktor (goal, 3 assists); Keefe (2 goals); Pantazes (goal, assist); Bennett (goal, assist)
- In Goal: Richardson (10 saves, 10 goals allowed, 60:00)
For Dickinson (5-3, 0-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring Leaders: Dunster (2 goals, 2 assists); Mauer (2 goals); Kaestner (2 goals); Bloes (goal, assist)
- In Goal: Avery Priest (4 saves, 12 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Docktor's four points on the day gave her 190 for her career as she moved into eighth place on the Shorewomen's all-time career points list.
3/27 v. St. Mary's (Md.) - 4 p.m.