Brenner Matches Career High With Five Goals
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Senior Kristy Grovom (San Diego, Calif. / Mission Hills ) became the 15th player in program history to reach 100 career goals as host Washington College defeated visiting McDaniel 14-8 in a Centennial Conference women's lacrosse game played this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 14, McDaniel 8
How It Happened
- Cecily Docktor scored the first two goals of the game, the second off of a Lauren Brenner assist, to give the Shorewomen a 2-0 lead with 25:08 to play in the opening half.
- Kealey Allison got McDaniel on the board with a free position goal with 22:01 to go before Washington scored three straight goals to take a 5-1 lead with 15:03 to play on a free position goal from Grovom.
- The Green Terror countered by scoring four of the next five goals to cut the Washington lead to 6-5 with 2:49 to play in the half on a goal from Allison which was assisted by Megan Kotelchuck.
- Olivia Miller capped the first half scoring with a free position goal with 57 seconds to go to give the Shorewomen a 7-5 halftime lead.
- Grovom and Colleen Keefe each scored goals less than a minute into the second half to push the lead to 9-5 and Brenner capped the 4-0 run on an unassisted goal with 22:19 to go to give the Shorewomen a 10-5 lead.
- Allison cut the lead to 11-7 with 16:10 to play before Brenner scored an unassisted goal with 12:56 to go to set the score at 12-7. Grovom then scored the 100th goal of her career with 9:54 to play, a man-up goal off an assist from Alison Pantazes to make it a 13-7 game.
- Each team scored one goal in the closing minutes to set the final margin.
For the Shorewomen (7-2 Overall, 2-0 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Brenner (5 goals, 2 assists), Grovom (3 goals, 1 assist), Docktor (2 goals, 2 assists), Keefe (2 goals), Miller (1 goal), Caitlin Donovan (1 goal), Pantazes (2 assists).
- Goalie: Isabella Richardson (8 saves, 8 goals allowed, 60:00).
- Anna Bennett led all players with three caused turnovers, while Melissa Donato led the Shorewomen with six draw controls.
- The Shorewomen enjoyed a sizable 41-19 advantage in shots, 30-17 advantage in ground balls, and 15-9 in draw controls.
For McDaniel (4-5 Overall, 0-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Allison (4 goals), Tori Arcilesi (2 goals), Lindsey Farrell (2 goals), Kotelchuck (1 assist).
- Goalie: Hannah Miller (18 saves, 14 goals allowed, 60:00).
- Allison led all players with eight draw controls, while Miller had a game high eight ground balls.
- Brenner was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the first time in her career. Her five goals ties her career high.
- The Shorewomen have now won 10 straight games against McDaniel.
- This is the third straight season in which Washington has had a player reach the 100 career goal mark. Katherine Vincent hit the mark in the 2017 season opener, while Docktor hit the mark last year.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/3 v. Ursinus - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game).
-The Shorewomen never trailed en route to a 13-9 win over the Bears last year.