Shorewomen's Win is First Over Sea Gulls in 21 Years
SALISBURY, Md. — Visiting Washington College broke a 17-match losing streak to host Salisbury University in convincing fashion tonight, sweeping the Sea Gulls, 25-18, 25-23, 25-17, in the collegiate volleyball season opener for both schools. The win was the Shorewomen's first over the Sea Gulls since a 2-1 win in 1994 and their first-ever over Salisbury in a best-of-five match. Freshman outside hitter Kaitlyn Marino (Redding, Conn./Joel Barlow) paced the Shorewomen with 11 kills in her collegiate debut.
Washington College 3, Salisbury 0 (25-18, 25-23, 25-17)
How It Happened
- After falling behind, 2-0, early in the first set, the Shorewomen ran off seven straight points to take a 7-2 lead on Jess Daunoras block. Washington led by at least three points the rest of the set.
- Neither team led by more than three points in a back-and-forth second set. Salisbury held a 20-18 lead before a 5-0 run by the Shorewomen, capped off by a Marino kill, gave Washington a 23-20 advantage. The Sea Gulls staved off a pair of set points before an attack error by Samantha Chubb handed a 25-23 set victory to the Shorewomen.
- The Shorewomen used a 12-3 run to build a commanding 20-8 advantage in a third set which saw them hit .344 as a team.
- Salisbury mounted a late 6-0 run in the third set to cut the deficit to 23-17 before a Marino kill and a Kristin Lee blocked completed the sweep.
For the Shorewomen (1-0)
- Marino's 11 kills came on 26 attempts against just two errors. Lee added nine kills to go along with 15 digs, while Daunoras pounded down seven kills against no errors in 14 attempts.
- Taylor Horan handed out a match-best 30 assists for the Shorewomen. Audrey Utchen had a team-best 19 digs.
- The Shorewomen hit an impressive .255 in the match, notching 37 kills and just 11 errors in 102 attempts.
For Salisbury (0-1)
- Nicole Venturelli had a match-high 12 kills against four errors in 25 attempts, while Katie Stouffer added 10 kills.
- Kacey Franz led the Sea Gulls with 13 digs.
- Salisbury hit .107 as a team, tallying 30 kills and 19 errors in 103 attempts.
- The Shorewomen entered the match 5-30 all-time against the Sea Gulls, including a 0-18 mark in best-of-five matches.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/4 v. Gwynedd Mercy - 5:00 p.m. (at DeSales Invitational)
9/4 v. Baruch - 7:00 p.m. (at DeSales Invitational)