Cardinals Top Shorewomen In Three Sets
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senior libero Audrey Utchen (San Ramon, Calif./Monte Vista) became the Washington College all-time leader in digs on Wednesday night against host Catholic in a non-conference volleyball match at the DuFour Center. However it was not enough for the visiting Shorewomen as they fell to the Cardinals, 3-0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-21). Utchen, who had 21 digs in the match to lead all players, now has 1,335 digs in her career.
Catholic 3 Washington College 0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-21)
How It Happened
- Catholic led 15-14 in the opening set before winning 10 of the final 15 points to take the first by six points. Kathryn Harrington began the run with a kill and Brynn Cooley ended the set with a kill.
- Utchen tied the all-time digs mark for a WC player on an attack attempt by Mary Paige Nesfelder in the first set with the Cardinals up 20-16.
- Utchen became Washington's leader in digs with Catholic leading 2-1 in the second set on an attack try by the Cardinals' Cooley.
- Washington held a 23-21 lead in the second set when the Cardinals rallied to take set by scoring the final four points to rally and take the set. An attack error by the Shorewomen tied the set and another attack miscue gave Catholic a 24-23 lead. Tara Rempel clinched the second set for the Cardinals with a kill.
- In the third and final set, Washington led 12-11 on a Lizzie Baden kill before Catholic took control of the set with a 9-1 run to grab a 20-13 lead on a Nesfelder service ace. Rempel closed out the contest with a kill.
For The Shorewomen (6-4)
- Kowalski (12 kills to tie for match-high and ties personal-best in digs with 13), Lizzie Baden (11 kills to tie for career-high), Utchen (21 digs and three aces to lead all players in both categories), Taylor Horan (32 assists to tie for match-high), Alaina Geissberger (five blocks to lead all players), Emily Houck (career-best four blocks)
- Shorewomen had six service aces and seven blocks in the match.
- Kowalski tallied her second career double-double.
For Catholic (11-4)
- Harrington (12 kills to lead team and tie for match-high and three blocks to lead hosts), Michelle Seals (32 assists to tie for tops in contests and 10 digs), Michelle Bouchard (team-best 17 digs)
- Catholic had four aces and six blocks in the victory.
- Utchen surpasses Arielle Brown '09 for the all-time lead in digs. Brown notched with 1,321 digs in her four years with WC. Utchen and Brown are the only two players in team history to surpass 1,300 digs.
9/24 @ Gettysburg – 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- Shorewomen topped Gettysburg last season in a five-set contest.
- Washington won in five sets last season and has won three of the last four versus the Bullets.