Horan Notches Her 2,000th Career Assist For Shorewomen
GETTYSBURG, Pa. – Junior setter Taylor Horan (San Diego, Calif./Point Loma) became the third Washington College volleyball player to notch 2,000 career assists on Saturday afternoon against host Gettysburg in a Centennial Conference volleyball match at Bream Gym. However it was not enough for the visiting Shorewomen as they fell to the Bullets, 3-1 (25-22, 26-24, 21-25, 25-16). Horan, who had match-highs of 43 assists and 21 digs, now has 2,020 assists in her career.
Gettysburg 3 Washington College 1 (25-22, 26-24, 21-25, 25-16)
How It Happened
- The two teams were tied at 16-16 in the opening set when Gettysburg took control of the first with a -7-1 run to take a 23-17 lead on a setting error by Washington. The Shorewomen got the deficit down to two points at 24-22 on a Lizzie Baden kill, but the Bullets finished the set on the next point on a Kasey Higgins finisher.
- Horan picked up her 2,000th career assist on a Baden kill to give the Shorewomen a 24-22 lead in the second set and led to a Gettysburg timeout. The Bullets would rally however by scoring the final four points of the set to grab the second. A Katherine Gilbert service ace gave Gettysburg a 25-24 lead and a kill by Francesca Garison ended the set.
- In the third set, WC snapped a 16-16 tie with a 7-3 run to take a 23-19 lead on a Baden kill. After the Bullets won the next two points to cut the lead to 23-21 on an attack error by the visitors, the Shorewomen responded by winning the next two points to win the set. A Baden kill made it 24-21 and an attack miscue by Gettysburg gave the Shorewomen a four-point third set win.
- The hosts jumped out to an 11-3 lead in the fourth set on an attack error by the visitors on the way to a nine-point win. Gettysburg clinched the set and match on an attack error by Washington.
For The Shorewomen (6-5, 1-1 CC)
- Horan (43 assists and 21 digs to lead all players in both categories), Baden (career-high 18 kills and hit .351 to lead all players), Cassie Kowalski (12 kills), Audrey Utchen (19 digs), Alaina Geissberger (10 kills and hit .348)
- Shorewomen had four service aces and three blocks in the match.
- Horan tallied her sixth double-double of the season.
For Gettysburg (8-4, 2-0 CC)
- Stephanie Blair (team-best 36 assists to go with 18 digs), Garison (match-high 20 kills and 13 digs while hitting .348 in the match), Gilbert (team-high 19 digs), Maddie Weikert (13 digs), Lauren Godshalk (match-highs of five aces and four blocks).
- Gettysburg had nine aces and five blocks in the win.
- Horan joins Caitlin Ward '10 and Lauren White '14 to notch over 2,000 assists. Ward had 3,303 helpers from 2006-09, while White passed out 2,708 assists from 2010-13.
- The home team has won each of the past six meetings.
9/28 v. Johns Hopkins – 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)