Pietrucha Hits .316 and Registers Career-Best Eight Kills
READING, Pa. – The Washington College volleyball team traveled to Alvernia on Friday afternoon and came away with a 3-0 (25-13, 25-23, 25-20) win in a non-conference volleyball match at the Physical Education Center. The Shorewomen improve to 9-15 on the year, while the Golden Wolves drop to 4-15.
Washington College 3 Alvernia 0 (25-13, 25-23, 25-20)
How It Happened
- In the first set, the Shorewomen led 11-10 before rolling off 11 straight points to take a 22-10 lead following a service ace by Lauren Zedlar. Abby Smith capped the first set by tallying an ace herself.
- Washington raced out to a 14-7 lead in the second set following a Smith kill before Alvernia went on an 12-3 run to take an 19-17 lead on an attack error by WC. However, the Shorewomen responded with a 5-0 run to take a 22-19 lead on a Maggie Pietrucha finisher. Leading 24-23, Smith notched a kill to clinch the second set.
- The Shorewomen won the final three points of the set to win by. Lizzie Baden recorded a kill to make it 23-20 and back-to-back attack miscues by the Golden Wolves ended the set and match.
For The Shorewomen (9-15)
- Smith (10 kills to tie for match-high and three aces), Pietrucha (career-high eight kills and hit match-best .316), Kowalski (12 digs), Lauren Zedlar (17 assists and 12 digs for double-double to go with three aces), Jensyn Hartzell (14 assists), Isabella Sansanelli (three blocks)
- Shorewomen had 11 service aces and four blocks in the match.
- WC hit .195 in the contest.
For Alvernia (4-15)
- Olivia Frutiger (10 kills and hit .241), Molly Gaffney (match-high 23 assists and three blocks), Erika McKee (15 digs and two aces to lead team), Gabirelle DeLucca (12 digs), Paige Stern (11 digs)
- Alvernia had five aces and 5.5 blocks in the victory.
- The hosts hit .055 on the afternoon.
- Zedlar now has a team-high seven double-doubles this season.
- Pietrucha doubled her career-high in kills this afternoon. Her previous high was four versus Rutgers-Camden on September 1.
10/23 @ Ursinus – 7:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- Washington has won the past six meetings with the Bears.