Team Hits .500 as Pietrucha and Sansanelli Each Hit 1.000 and Hilty Serves Up Personal-High Eight Aces
ROSEMONT, Pa. – The Washington College volleyball team hit .500 as a squad and got a career-topping eight service aces from junior defensive specialist Abby Hilty (Annandale, N.J./North Hunterdon) on its way to topping host Rosemont on Thursday night, 3-0 (25-11, 25-19, 25-8), in a non-conference volleyball match at Alumnae Gymnasium. The Shorewomen improve to 2-3 on the year, while the Ravens drop to 0-4.
Washington College 3 Rosemont 0 (25-11, 25-19, 25-8)
How It Happened
- In the first set, the Shorewomen trailed 6-5 before winning six of the next seven points to take an 11-7 lead on a service ace by Hilty. Washington would 13 of the final 15 points against the Ravens to go on to win by 14 as a service error by Rosemont ended the first set.
- Hilty sparked an 8-0 run in the second set with five service aces in the run as Washington turned a 7-5 deficit into a 13-7 lead. Rosemont would get it within 16-15 following a bad set by the Shorewomen before the guests won nine of the final 13 points and sealed it on an attack miscue by the Ravens.
- The Shorewomen raced out to a 12-3 lead in the third set following a bad set by the hosts on their way to a 17-point win. Isabella Sansanelli ended the match with a kill.
For The Shorewomen (2-3)
- Sansanelli and Maggie Pietrucha (eight kills and each hit 1.000), Hilty (career-best eight aces), Lauren Zedlar (seven assists and five digs), Jensyn Hartzell (nine assists)
- Shorewomen had 19 service aces and one block in the match.
- WC hit .500 in the contest.
For Rosemont (0-4)
- Ke'alonilani Naone-Carter (seven kills), Alyssa Springer (match-high 10 assists), Julianna Capece (four digs)
- Rosemont had zero aces and one block.
- The hosts hit .180 on the night.
- Hilty's prior high for aces in a match was four which she did twice.
- Rosemont's head coach Jim Feeny is the father of 2011 Washington College graduate Lauren Feeny who played two seasons of volleyball for the Shorewomen.
9/7 v. Lynchburg – 12:00 p.m. and Virginia Wesleyan – 2:00 p.m. @ Gallaudet (Non-Conference Matches)