Maxwell Sets Career-High in Kills with Contest-Best 16
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Swarthmore's Sierra Tyson tallied a triple-double with 11 kills and match-highs of 26 assists and 20 digs in a 3-1 (25-20, 25-16, 24-26, 25-20) win over host Washington College on Wednesday night in a Centennial Conference volleyball match at the Cain Athletic Center. The Garnet improve to 13-10 overall and 4-3 in the Centennial, while the Shorewomen drop to 7-17 and 1-7 respectively.
Swarthmore 3 Washington College 1 (25-20, 25-16, 24-26, 25-20)
How It Happened
- The two teams were tied 17-17 in the first set before the Garnet won eight of the last 11 points to win the set by five. Emma Morgan-Burnett put Swarthmore ahead for the rest of the first on a kill and a bad set by Washington ended the set.
- Swarthmore never trailed in the second set and led by as many as 10 points in the nine-point win. A finisher by Alyssa Nathan concluded the second.
- Knotted at 24-24 in set three, Washington won the final two points to extend the contest. Jenna Daunoras made it 25-24 on a kill and an attack error by the Garnet clinched the third for the Shorewomen.
- In the fourth set Washington jumped out to a 15-7 lead following a kill by Cassie Kowalski before the Garnet rallied with an 18-5 run to win the set and match. Tyson put Swarthmore ahead for the first time in the fourth at 20-19 on a kill, which was her 10th kill and gave her the triple-double, and Tyson ended the match on a kill from Nathan.
For The Shorewomen (7-17, 1-7 CC)
- Courtney Maxwell (contest-high 16 kills to set personal-high), Isabella Sansanelli (four aces to lead all players), Daunoras (four blocks and hit .368), Abby Smith (13 digs), Jenny Kabrick (15 digs), Lauren Zedlar (19 assists), Jensyn Hartzell (17 assists)
- Shorewomen had eight service aces and five blocks in the match.
- WC hit .070 in the contest.
For Swarthmore (13-10, 4-3 CC)
- Tyson (11 kills, 26 assists and 20 digs for triple-double), Mehra den Braven (15 kills and 17 digs for double-double), Nathan (12 digs), Sarah Carrasco (18 digs), Morgan-Burnett and Isabelle Andrews (four blocks), Alexa Bartlett (two aces)
- Swarthmore had four aces and eight blocks in the victory.
- The guests hit .176 on the evening.
- Maxwell was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewoman Player of the Match during the broadcast.
- Sansanelli had four aces for the second straight match as she had four this past Saturday versus Franklin & Marshall.
10/30 v. Ursinus – 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- Home finale.