Shorthanded Men's Hoops Defeated By No. 16 Swarthmore On Thursday Evening
Swarthmore, Pa. - - - The Washington College men's basketball team, playing without several starters, dropped an 98-47 decision against the No. 16 ranked Swarthmore Garnet, in a Centennial Conference contest on Thursday evening at Tarble Pavilion. The Shoremen fall to 3-9 (0-5) while the Garnet improve to 13-1 (7-0).
How It Happened
- The hosts raced out to a 14-2 lead over the first four minutes of the contest and never looked back. Sophomore forward Michael Caprise scored six points during the stretch and senior guard Abass Sallah capped the run with a steal and a layup.
- The Shoremen were within 20-9 after freshman center Will Matheny hit one of two free throws at the 11:30 mark, however, the Garnet drained three triples in a row to widen their lead to 29-9 with 8:55 on the clock. Caprise hit the first attempt and freshman guard Matt Mulvey (11 first-half points) stuck back-to-back treys to account fo the scoring.
- Sophomore guard Drew Fellows converted a pair of free throws to bring the Shoremen within 31-14 at the 6:24 mark but Swarthmore answered with a 12-2 run to grow their lead to 43-16 with just under three minutes left in the stanza.
- The Garnet took a 49-20 halftime advantage as they made eight long-distance field goals and shot 52.8 percent overall.
- The Shoremen received a team-high eight points from freshman guard Zack Skrocki in the opening half.
- The Garnet scored the first 11 points of the second half to put the game out of reach at 60-20 with 17:41 left in the game. Senior guard Ryan Ingram, junior guard George Viscanti and Caprise all made long-range field goals during the stretch.
For the Shoremen
- Skrocki paced Washington with a career-best 10 points on 5-of-11 shooting and pulled down four caroms.
- Freshman guard Seamus Fynes went 5-for-6 from the line and finished with a career-high seven points and four boards.
- Will Matheny scored a career-high six points and knocked down his first collegiate trifecta.
For the Garnet
- Caprise tied for a game-high 12 points in 14 minutes of action. He hit all five of his field goals, including a pair of treys.
- Mulvey finished with 11 points on 4-of-9 shooting, including 3-for-8 from deep.
- Sophomore guard Chuck Sweat came off the bench to score 12 points
- All 15 players who dressed got on the scoreboard.
The Shoremen will travel to Muhlenburg on Saturday afternoon.